What is High Risk?
Insurance companies determine how much of a risk you are by several factors. Some of them are things you cannot change while others are qualities you can work on improving. These companies take data provided to them that state that people in a particular category had more accidents than the drivers in another category.
Here are some examples of common qualities that make you a higher risk:
- Age - under 25
- Gender - male, especially under 25 is considered a high risk
- Marital status - if you are single, you are considered a higher risk
- Credit history - if you have a poor credit history, you are considered a higher risk
- Previous traffic violations - if you have disobeyed the traffic laws and gotten a traffic violation, you are considered a high risk
- Previous claims - a history of filed claims indicates a high risk
There's not much you can do about your age or gender and you are limited in your marital status. However, you can work on improving your credit history and driving record while trying to avoid other claims to lower your level of risk.
How Yoг Can Get Affordable Auto Insurance
Often, a high-risk driver will be quoted higher rates than someone that is considered a lower risk. You can find a policy that's more affordable while you work on improving your level of risk.
- Shop around, looking for providers that specialize in high risk drivers. While they may not be as cheap as if you had a perfect record, they will give you a better deal than other providers. If you have a really bad driving record, they may be the only ones to insure you at all.
- Get added to someone else's policy. Teens often have cheaper insurance if they are added onto their parents' policy than if they get their own. Another option is to be added to a spouse's policy.
- Change your deductibles or coverage. Don't reduce your liability coverage, but consider altering other coverage to make it more affordable.
Getting cheap auto insurance if you are a high-risk driver isn't easy, but you can find something affordable. Take the time to discover your options and know that you won't always be a high risk.